Wojtek DOMAŃSKI - POL
High attitude slow / fast task, instead of low level with kicking sticks.
3.C9 FAST / SLOW SPEED
To fly a course as fast as possible and then as slow as possible (or vice versa).
A straight course consisting of four equally spaced ‘kicking sticks’ between 150m and 300m long is laid out facing approximately into wind.
The course shall be flown twice. The order will be briefed (fast then slow or slow then fast).
The pilot makes a timed pass along the first course, returns to the start, and makes a second timed pass in the same direction.
There may be two courses but they must be of equal dimensions and orientation and separated by at least 200m flying distance.
- A valid strike on a stick is:
EITHER one where the pilot or any part of the Paramotor has been clearly observed to touch it. OR when electronic ‘kick stick’ sensors which have been shown to meet the standard tests are used, a valid strike is one which is recorded by the device.
- For each course, the clock starts the moment the pilot kicks the first stick and stops the moment he kicks the fourth stick.
- The pilot may have 3 attempts at kicking the first stick on each run.
- If the pilot misses the second or third stick then he is considered ‘too high’, penalty 50% course score for each stick missed.
- The maximum time allowed for a pilot to complete each course is 5 minutes.
In the slow course;
- If the pilot or any part of his Paramotor touches the ground or the fourth stick is missed: Vp2 = null and Ep = zero
- If the pilot zigzags: Score zero.
In the fast course;
- If the pilot or any part of his Paramotor touches the ground: Vp1 = zero and Ep = zero
- The pilot may have three attempts at kicking the fourth stick.
Pilot score = 0.25 x Q x Vp1 / Vmax + 0.25 x Q x Vmin / Vp2 + 0.5 x Q x Ep / Emax
Q = Maximum task score between 500 and 1000 points, as briefed.
Vmax = The highest speed achieved in the fast course without penalties, in Km/H
Vp1 = The speed of the pilot in Km/H in the fast course.
Vmin = The lowest speed achieved in the slow course without penalties, in Km/H
Vp2 = The speed of the pilot in Km/H in the slow course.
Ep = The difference between the pilot's slowest and fastest speeds, in Km/H
Emax = The maximum difference between scored slowest and fastest speeds after penalties, in Km/H
Kicking sticks in fast track is dangerous with nowadays paramotor gliders. This version of slow fast is safer, and solves several problems like touching the ground, or overflowing the stick by just few centimetres.