Access Keys:
Skip to content (Access Key - 0)
All CIMA spaces


This space

Microlight Autogyro status in different countries

Response to a question put to CIMA Delegates on 2 October 2011

How many Microlight Autogyros are there in your Country?

BEL 12 (see note 8)
BRA Around 400
CYP 3 (see note 9)
CZE 18
DEN Estimate 5
DEU 388 registered Microlight Autogyros & 749 Microlight Autogyro licences
ESP 189 registered autogyros (see note 11)
FRA More than 700
GBR More than 100 (see note 12)
ISR 2 Microlight Autogyros
LTU 5 microlight autogyros
NOR 13 Microlight Autogyros with active & current Permit-to-Fly
NZL 37 on the NZ register
POL In Poland about 10 (ten) registered autogyros are flying.
PRT I believe there are between 5 and 10
SUI 2 running under the experimental rules
SWE The number of registered microlight gyrocopters in Sweden is 40
USA More than 600 (see note 10)

Summary: At least 2517 in 18 Nations.

Letter dated 12 October 2011 from EMF president stating that at its 7/8 October 2011 general assembly in Ostend, the European Microlight Federation, which represents more than 45,000 microlight pilots within the EU decided unanimously to support CIMA's microlight autogyro proposals to CASI.

Responses to three questions put to CIMA delegates in August 2011 about Microlight Autogyros in their nation.

1.  Are Microlight Autogyros in your country regulated like Microlights, like Helicopters, like themselves (ie special regulation just for them), or a mixture?
23 responses:

in Belgium autogyro are not allowed and therefore not regulated (see note 8)
They have its own regulation
Gyroplane are regulated in their own category. (see note 7)
We are a country that does not issue micro/ultra/gyro light licences at all. (see note 9)
Microlight Autogyros has independant regulation for Microlight Autogyros (see note 2)
Microlight autogyros are regulated like microlights, no difference. Type certification, licence etc. running by DULV and DAeC as for 'normal' microlights.
A microlight autogyro pilot is a microlight pilot with an autogyro qualification.
Like microlights
In our national regulation, they are classed on their own , similar to ultralight and motorgliders.
Autogyros are microlights (note 6) since 1998.  To fly with autogyro you need to have a microlight licence for autogyro class ( class 4 )
All autogyros are treated together under a special regulation, though it has many similarities to microlighting.
Autogyros are microlights
The Autogyros which  registered in Israel are Microlights  and the criteria is the MTO weight  (up to 450Kg  is Microlight and up to 600Kg is LSA)
yes gyros are regulated like others microlight.
The flight of Autogyros in Japan is the handling which is the same as the Japanese microlight. But, it is the rule of the special Japanese microlight. (see note 5)
A microlight autogyro pilot is a microlight pilot with an autogyro qualification.
Microlight Autogyros are regulated in the same way as 3-axis and weight-shift.
Gyros are regulated under the microlight (Part 103 - note 4) system.  They are treated as just another class of microlight (same as for Trikes).
Autogyros in Poland compose a separate ultralight aircrafts that undergoes the same regulation as Microlight class.
At the time we have only 2 gyros running under the experimental rules.
Microlight autogyros are classified as, Ultralight Class B, (UL-B), together with the AL’s   (trikes are UL-A)
Article 7: In accordance of respective design, Ultralight vehicles are classified as fixed wing, helicopter, autogyro, paraglider and weighshift... (see note 1)
Gyroplanes are treated as a class of rotorcraft here (the other class of course being helicopters). That means that for decades a gyroplane pilot could be a student, private pilot, commercial pilot, and flight instructor. They would have to meet the same requirements as a general aviation airplane pilot (Including medical requirements), although obviously the testing, experience and other requirements were tailored to the aircraft.
Gyroplanes can also be flown here as ultralights as long as they meet the US definition of an ultralight: (see note 3)
When there were two-seat ultralight training exemptions, gyroplanes were again included.
Now with the US Sport Pilot rules, gyroplanes are once again included. Interestingly, helicopters are not included in sport pilot.

2.  Is this different for different aspects of regulation?  Licencing, medical, airworthiness, airspace.
18 responses

Not applicable
Licensing is similar to ultralights ( recreational pilot) issued by ANAC but just a 'certificate', not a 'license'. Medical is the same as ultralight ( 4th class made by ANAC based on ABUL medical certificate), they are 'experimental' with all its restriction  and they can fly in G space and, if equipped with VHF radio and transponder, in controlled airspace too.
We need a medical examination since we are allowed to carry passenger when you have your plot permit. ( good for 24 months if you are over 40 years old, and 60 months if you are under 40) We can go anywhere if we have proper instruments. No night or instrument flight is permitted. 10000ft is our max altitude.
Licencing is independant on other ML cathegories, there is its own training system
Medical is the same as for other powered ML is - JAR FCL, 2nd class
Airworthiness is judged and confirmed by special ML Autogyros requirements rules
Airspace - flights must follow ICAO standards annex 2, day VFR conditions - this is the same for any air traffic from ML to GA -(ML are in CZE a part of GA).
No difference
Same as microlights.
The same as for ULA but with additional specific course
We have also licence of its own, called autogiropilot licence.  Medical also similar to ultralight and motorgliders. Airworthiness they are as in national regulations. (category: Experimental and ultralights). Air space is not limited.
access and licencing is the same as the other microlight classes
You need a separate PPL(G) licence and a separate medical. Some of the licence exams are the same as microlight ones. Airworthiness is similar to microlights (Annex II). Airspace is similar to microlights.
Same as microlights
The license is a special  Rotorcraft license and the pilots learn on their own aircraft. They can't fly on Helicopters .All the other are the same as Microlights.
No differences
Ultralight pilot licence and qualification for RRL (ROTORCRAFT LAND),RRS (ROTORCRAFT WATER),RRA (ROTORCRAFT AMFIBIA).VFR Day.
Medical requirements : car driver medical sertificate.
Airworthiness is the same like microlights,only MTOM is 580 kg. (For microlights RAL,RWL is 450 kg. without rescue sistem and 472.5 - sistem installed).
Airspace same as for general aviation.
Same as microlights.
Pilot certificate requirements are identical.  We add the requirement for a Gyro exam pass.
Same regulation, there is only one microlight license, but there are different check outs, one for trike, one for fix wing and one for gyrocopters. Notes about your valid check outs are done in your personal logbook.
The only difference between gyroplanes and everything else here is that so far you cannot certify an aircraft under the light sport aircraft regulations like you can the rest of sport aviation. This is something the community is working on.

3.  In your estimation, is the Microlight Autogyro pilot community in your country more closely ‘allied’ to the microlight community, the helicopter community, or neither?
19 responses:

More close to ultralight
I believe, as we dont have much gyroplane pilot (33 pilot permit issued in Canada), are close to any one since they are so rare everybody is curious about it.
Is possible to say, Autogyros community -they are minority yet, but Autogyros pilots are almost holders of AL licences, they are not isolated.(see note 2)
DEN Gyro is in a separate association, which is outside our NAC, too. In spite of the fact, that they for several years hardly had any aircraft with permission to flight, they have maintained seperate regulation. There are now 2 of the new Calidus and I think they will have a good growth when the finacial crisis is over - and probably in few years they will be part of our association again.
Due to the regulation bodys they are allied to the microlight community. There have nothing in common with helicopter.  Even by EASA they are handled outside and falling under Annex II
Microlight pilots move from fixed-wings or trikes to autogyros and vice-versa.  They have common hangars and activities.
Microlight competition rules have always included autogyros and they have taken part in competitions intermittently, as pilot's interest decays due to the lack of international competition. Recently, the news of possible international competition have increased the number of autogyros taking part in our microlight nationals.
More microlight community.   We still have just few of them.
We have not yet our own community, but I think, it will be possible in the future.  We  just have  23. autogiro pilot.  In finland we have 6 two seated and 6 1 seat autogyros. I dont know, which might be better to join to. Rotorwings might be the best.  Now we are on our own.
a lot of autogyros pilots have an other class licence and are not "closer" they are a part of Microlight
Autogyros are very much closer to microlights than to helicopters. The British Rotorcraft Association recently asked to merge with the British Microlight Aircraft Association. Autogyros operate alongside microlights and autogyro manufacturers attend microlight exhibitions in the UK.
Very few exist, but are microlight related.
In Israel the Autogyros are part of the Microlights community
most of gyros pilots came from trikes or three axis so, in my opinion, are very close to that cathegories.
Autogyros is part of the Lithuanian Microlight Federation (ULOPF) community. We have one Ultralight Autogyros Pilot school regulated by UL Federation.
Autogyros are closely integrated into our microlight community.
Closest to the microlight community (many 'crossover' pilots, but they tend to be a group unto themselves- hold their own anuual fly-in.)
Autogyro pilots originate from different activities (mostly microlight and paramotor). They compose a community of friends flying together. I don't think they are allied to helicopter community.
They are definitely more “allied” with the microlight movement than anything else that flies.
Here, the Popular Rotorcraft Association is the organization that specializes in gyroplanes. They also include experimental helicopters, but they mostly seem to be a gyroplane organization.
Gyroplanes here probably have equal ties to the sport aviation community and the helicopter community.

Note 1

TPE (Taiwan) provided a further description of their national classification system:

   (1) Empty weight less than 150 Kg.
   (2) Fuel capacity less than 18 letters.
   (3) Strait and level flight speed with max. available power under 101 km/hr.
   (4) Idle stall speed less than 44 Km/h.

    CLASS 2:
    (1) Standard day, at sea level, under max. continued power,  speed at greatest average strait and lever flight, less than 222 Km/h.
    (2) Greatest stall speed or lowest controllable flight speed, at MTOW and Critical CG, without the use of lift aiding devices less than 83 Km/h.
    (3) Less than 2 seats.
    (4) One reciprocate engine.
    (5) Fixed pitch or ground adjustable propeller..........for Autogyro: 2 blades, fixed pitch, semi rigid and teeter hinged.
    (6) Non pressurized cockpit.
    (7) Fixed gear, except for amphibian and ppg.

Note: As you can see, we are heading toward LSA specs. as max. spec. and microlight specs. as know by CIMA, will just fall below the max spec. 

Our main problem is to overcome land laws for airfields and to open airspace.

Note 2

CZE (Czech Republic) provided a further description of their national situation.

in CZE are included in the ML cathegory (this is defined in the Civil Aviation Act as sport flying equipment -similar situation is in Germany) these sub cathegories:

Hang glideres, Paragliders, powered Hanhg Gliders (i.e.  our standard WL trikes), powered paragliders (MPG &PPG), microlight aeroplanes, microlight gliders, microlight powered gliders, microlight gyros and microlight helicopters and just a new cathegory - homebuilts up to 600 kg.

All these cathegories are in authority of LAA CR (LAA CR is authorized by Ministry of transport for limited performance of office in the Czech republic - this is a issuer of pilot licences, training center licences, permit to fly, permit for production and maintenance etc) In fact, gyros and helicopters are independant cathegories, where one substantial deference is established - helicopters mustnt be built as homebuilt, only profesional production can get permit to fly. Gyros may be built or as profesional, or as homebuilt - both.

Each class has its own requirements for building, issuing of permit to fly, pilot licence, training system etc.

From point of view association of flyers - all pilots of the sport flying equipment are represented by LAA CR (light Aircraft Association of the Czech Republic).LAA CR is not a part of the Czech national Aeroclub and is fully independant. Only from point of view of FAI is formaly represented by CZE NAC. This representation is based on the contract.

LAA CR is built from these national federations:

Hang gliders


Powered paragliders

Microlights - represents classes AL, WL, Autogyros, Helicopters, powered gliders, homebuilts up to 600 kg.

Just we have a very few off Autogyros (several tens , maybe round 20 or 30) and little bit more helicopters (round 50).

For comparation  - WL class - hundreds of trikes and pilots, AL class 2thousands aircrafts, 5 thousands pilots

Note 3

USA national Ultralight regulation (FAR Part 103)

(a) Is used or intended to be used for manned operation in the air by a single occupant;

(b) Is used or intended to be used for recreation or sport purposes only;

(c) Does not have any U.S. or foreign airworthiness certificate; and

(d) If unpowered, weighs less than 155 pounds; or

(e) If powered:

    (1) Weighs less than 254 pounds empty weight, excluding floats and safety devices which are intended for deployment in a potentially catastrophic situation;

    (2) Has a fuel capacity not exceeding 5 U.S. gallons;

    (3) Is not capable of more than 55 knots calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight; and

    (4) Has a power-off stall speed which does not exceed 24 knots calibrated airspeed.

Note 4

NZL (New Zealand) national specification for a microlight under Part 103:

  • 1 or 2 place
  • 544kg MAUW for landplanes (this may be increased to 600kg in time)
  • 579kg MAUW for 1 place seaplane or amphib.
  • 614kg MAUW for 2 place seaplane or amphib.
  • or any a/c meeting the following standards: BCAR-S, TP10141-E, ANO 95.32 or 91.55 or 101.55, UML-1 or 2, FAR 103 and 3784E and 4274D

Note 5

JPN (Japan) further notes on national regulation:

The same place is being decided as the takeoff and landing.
It can't land on other airports.
A flight distance is maximum 9km.
An airport and the permission of the microlight and the pilot are necessary.
The renewal of that permission is three months from one month. A procedure is very complex.
There is a little flight of that result microlight and Autgyros in Japan.

Note 6

FRA (France) further notes:

Specific regulation for the engine power ( 75 kW for solo and 90 kW for bi )
In France we have more than 700 autogyros and in october we'll have a new class microlight helicoptère.

Note 7

CAN (Canada) further notes:

We need a pilot permit for gyroplane to fly them ( 45 hrs of flight training and 40 hrs of ground school) we don't have a gyroplane licence, only permit, and no commercial activity is permited only recreational flight is possible.

Our ultra light category is ''ultra-light airplane'' so rotor don't fit in.

You can have 3 types of gyro certificate of airworthyness
- home build: owner can do the maintenance.
- Limited ( of factory build) a certified mechanic can do the maintenance.
- Type certificate: I dont believe we have this here yet, too expensive for no comercial activity allowed.

Note 8

BEL (Belgium) further notes:

In Belgium there are 12 autogyro flying under special temporary authorization, because one is registered in Germany , the 11 others in France. I believe their owners fly with a French License. They received on their request a permission to fly in Belgium, as visitors (with flight plan), for a limited time , and this of course with a taxe of ± 80 € a year.

Belgium is in favor of having the autogyros in CIMA for records and competitions.

Note 9

CYP (Cyprus) further notes:

All persons/pilots interested to get involve with the sport has to give up the idea or go to another country in Europe to get the micro/ultralight/gyro licence and produce this licence to the Civil Aviation Authority we have here to validate it and if.......accepted they will make you fly by dangerous rules and places in order to fly.

The other option is to get a PPL A and via this type of licence fly the micro/ultra/gyro (and they don't worry if you know how to fly it as long you have the PPL A for them to be legally covered that you have at least a licence)

Here in Cyprus we have a very interesting friend, pilot and Aeronautical engineer named Nikolas Karaolides that built and sell Gyros and the Civil Aviation Department here does not have the personnel with the knowledge or the mechanism to go and check this guy to see what the hell this guy builts so to certify him and be able to sell the autogyros also here in Cyprus. He has German , Australian, American certification to built and sell in all Europe and third country gyros as ready built or kit and he cannot sell the Gyro in Cyprus. For the truth of the above please visit his website to see:

Note 10

USA Microlight Autogyro Numbers

Unfortunately, you ask a question that would take a lot of time and money to answer. (3 weeks and $250 to be exact.) That is the cost to have a consultant do the programing at the FAA level to sort out the gyroplanes from the overall category of rotorcraft. And to be honest, I don't know that it would be possible to do for that little time and money. It would probably take a model by model review of the 20,418 rotorcraft to determine which are gyroplanes.

Since 2005 or so, the FAA began noting whether an aircraft was a gyroplane at the time of registration. So we do know that since then (and as of June this year), 374 gyroplanes have been registered. That number implies some false growth, though. There have not been over 60 gyroplanes a year entering the fleet. That number includes a lot of aircraft that were flying without FAA registrations before 2005. With the sport pilot rules, those aircraft had to be registered where in the past they could fly under an exemption to the ultralight rules.

I believe that 600+ would be reasonable and conservative. Many were registered as experimental-amateur built long before the sport pilot rules came along.

Note 11

ESP Microlight Autogyro numbers

I've gone through this list, looking for brand names.

I have counted a total of 189 registered gyros. If you know of any other brand, please tell me.

The Spanish authorities classify registered planes into these groups: Airplane, Balloon, Glider, Helicopter, Microlight, Home-built. And it is interesting to note that all autogyros are classified as microlights or home-built.

Note 12

GBR Microlight Autogyro numbers

56 are shown as a result of a search for gyro in GINFO. however this search does not definitively find all autogyros (different searches for rotorsport finds 101 MTs or magni finds 21). Since it is likely the results of these searches would not all meet the FAI microlight definition, an estimate of 'more than 100' is included above.

Added by Richard Meredith-Hardy Last edited by Richard Meredith-Hardy on 13 Oct, 2011 23:13. Quick links: or Microlight Autogyro status in different countries
Enter labels to add to this page:
Please wait 
Looking for a label? Just start typing.
Adaptavist Theme Builder Powered by Atlassian Confluence